Friday, April 16, 2010

What are you going to do today?

What are you going to do today? That question is asked of me every morning. I suppose it is intended as an innocent question. Sometimes I have an answer and sometimes I don't. Some days there are plans...some days, not. And I say that using the word "plans" loosely....you see, the plans I might make are sometimes not really considered "plans" by those who may ask the question. My "plans", more often than not, include a portion of the day in my workroom...I still can't call it a studio....but regardless, that's where I choose to spend large portions of my day. I love creating things with my hands. I love to see what grows from the thought. I love to put colors together and twist wire and add beads and sew without a pattern. I love seeing the puddle of knitting in my lap as I work. And....I have even gotten the response, after answering what my "plans" are for the day..."So in other words you aren't doing anything." I grow so tired of what I choose to spend my time doing being seen as "nothing". Admittedly, there are far more projects on the horizon than time, I fear....I would likely need to live hundreds of years to complete everything! But, that said....I need to have my hands busy...and I don't understand why that is an issue for some. What I see as creating beautiful things, others may see as folly....but I feel it is so important to have interests, hobbies, wishes and dreams, to free the creative self, to feed the spark that is the thought and turn it into something tangible. That is as necessary to me as food and drink. And yes, there is interest in purchasing what I do, thank you very much. Yes, there is interest from those desiring to see and learn what I do. So, you see, I don't really care if you think I'm "doing nothing"..... I really don't care if you don't believe anything will come of it...I really don't care if you don't like what I choose to do today. And do you know why? Because it's not your life. It's not your happiness. It's not your dream. It is mine. I own it proudly. I defend it fiercely. And you know something else? I would rather have a dream and spend my life trying to reach it than never to have had a dream at all. I can't imagine how sad a life must be with no dreams. So....what am I going to do today, you ask? Simple. Anything and everything I choose or need to do to move forward with wishes and hopes and dreams. Thank you very much for asking. This chapter of the story of my life is still being written. I can't tell you how it ends....I don't know if the wishes and dreams will come true. But I can tell you this...I will keep at it. I can give it my best shot. I will not quit. I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

  1. that makes me MAD. you deserve a better response than that. you know you do.
    go into that studio, create to your heart's desire. you have earned that luxury! and you have earned respect as well. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI--I landed here via nina's blog and just HAD to comment. I live by your words, and fortunately for me, have nobody here to question what I do or who I am. Good for you for standing up for yourself and being who you are meant to be. I just love to hear the voice of a strong woman, and you are obviously one to be heard! All my best, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also landed here from Nina's blog, and although I rarely comment anywhere, just have to say "Bravo"! I have the same situation, and have only thought the words you have so wonderfully expressed. I am going to print out your post and keep it in my "studio" to remind myself every day that I am not alone in my desire to pursue creating something lovely as my dream. Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete