Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's been a while since I've posted anything. One of the "new" things I'm doing this year is keeping a journal of sorts...random thoughts and feelings. It's interesting to go back and read some of the things I've written. I'll share this one with you:
"I feel like a butterfly clamoring to get free of it's cocoon today. I've seen them before; used them in my classroom, but I never really gave deep thought to the actual act of breaking free and what it encompasses. The caterpillar changes; goes through a complete metamorphosis while in that cocoon. It is protected there and allowed to grow and change...expected to change, much the same as we do as we're growing up...in a home where we are also protected and allowed to grow and change and blossom. I thought about how we go through a second metamorphosis in middle age...after the kids are gone and we focus on what interests us as individuals...and I recognize that change comes once again. We step out, through that little hole we managed to claw in our old lives, in our old selves...and we feel the freedom of the choices we have, we welcome the changes that include new and different interests...we don't feel that all-encompassing fear of the unknown because we accept ourselves now...free from the cocoon. It's just that constant clawing and chewing and digging to get out of the cocoon we built around ourselves so we can be free. That is me...clawing and clamoring and digging and chewing to break out of this cocoon and it's relative safety to fly free. Amazingly, I have no fear about that at all." Interesting, huh? I have no idea what hidden meanings there were in that...guess I'll just have to wait and see! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment