Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

Today is the day after Thanksgiving. That sounds so funny...as if there is only one day when we celebrate by giving thanks. I propose a Year of Thanksgiving.....when we open our eyes to see and celebrate those things that are really important...those things without which our lives would be forever changed. What would be on that list? What is it that we are so deeply thankful for that our lives would never be the same without? Undoubtedly, mine would include those things which are so taken for granted...those simple little things that often go unnoticed, but without which life would be so dull and drab. And in truth, my list would include some "things"...some items that make my life soooo much better...but it would also include people...and acts...and gifts that are within us...within me. When I think about what I would like to do to celebrate a Year of Thanksgiving, I think of sharing...and caring...and working together with a common goal...and being unashamed....and giving voice to my words and thoughts instead of keeping them inside. I think of the Golden Rule...I think, in a Year of Thanksgiving, that would be the only rule...."Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Think what it would be like to walk a mile in their shoes. Be forgiving. Show compassion. Think first. Speak kindly. Be gentle with all living things. Embrace beauty. Enjoy life. Look for the good...and point it out to those who don't see it.
Smile often. Have courage. Step out on faith. Tell them you love them. And don't...don't be ashamed to celebrate giving thanks...every day...all year...forever. Happy Thanksgiving! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment